Guest Accounts and Fake Guest Accounts

Fake guests are annoying, and are maybe part of the problem why new players get targeted a lot. I can never tell who is a fake guest and who is a real newbie until a few minutes into game play, but I still forget the numbers if they are similar. So I end up just wiping out all guest players. I was thinking in the main rooms, guest accounts cannot get full power ups. They can play to see how the game looks and what not, but this will pressure players to stop making the fake accounts everyday. It may take the pressure off new players too since most people are targeting all guest accounts as if they are experts. Maybe only allow them to get 2 skates, 5 bombs, 5 flames. New players are the same threat with little power up as if they are with full power ups. This will also prompt them to make a real account sooner than later, and bring them into the community to learn more.

I just figured I'd bring up the thought since I have seen posts saying that new players are constantly driven out from the game being too hard.
Thanked by 2 CrashMaxxXx _JENOVA_

Comments

• I was also thinking about the players will create lots of new accounts, make it so the same rules apply with the limited power ups. Till they reach a certain rank at least. Most players by then will have a reputation that will tell how good they are, even with limited power up.

I had a few other ideas came up with the separate rooms and anonymous names for the players, but I want to see what other people mention before coming up with too many things.
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • I thought this would be the appropriate topic for this, so here we go.

I have a couple questions:

Why does anyone have to see your rank symbol on the playing field? It's completely unnecessary and rankings are meaningless on the playing field anyway for obvious reasons.

Also, why do we have to know when someone is using a guest account? The game was better when there was no way to distinguish a guest from a normal account in my opinion. No visible rankings on the playing field, and everyone had their own personalized name.

Maybe your rank should be kept private, or at least only visible to others on the dedicated rankings page? This would reduce the need for people to spam alt accounts too. Now I know what you're thinking. People would use guest names for trolling. That's why we have mods though, right? xD There's plently of trolling anyway. The game was just fine and had lots of players when it looked more like this:
    gfomwdlevfwj.png
  • I've had similar ideas, but new players probably need all the help they can get, so making there be a handicap could be pretty bad, ^also they could probably add a setting that allows you to hide ranks
  • @HASHARAHHA14 I was saying though after they get to a certain rank they are able to get full stats. They can never reach full stats without some help anyways. As of right now, I attempt to kill all guest accounts before they get any stats to stop the tougher players. After a week or so of someone playing they will rank up. This just slows down the constant new guest accounts since they will never rank up, and if they try to make new accounts all the time, they don't get much out of it. Also make it so you cannot have a screen name of guest##### when you register.
  • I think the whole reason rank symbols were added to the game was so that new players could see who is an "experienced" player. This doesn't really work with tons of guests and fake accounts running around though. If anything it just makes things more confusing and frustrating for new players. It just looks like other "new" players are completely slaughtering them the whole round. And then they think that they will never be any good at this game if other new players are already that good.

There's no way to make the ranking symbol trustworthy because even high rank players could have many alt or guest accounts used. So a one star player could really have the experience of a 3 or 4 star player. The ranking symbol serves no purpose on the playing field. It should be more of a personal accomplishment that others don't need to see on the map.

I think it would be good for the game if there was no way to easily distinguish a guest from a registered account. Let them make their own names (without the ~ symbol too) that can be recycled after they log off of the guest account. This is the internet. Why are people so scared of a few troll names popping up? People make plenty of troll names on registered accounts on US server now anyway.

If there's no way to tell that someone is a guest, there's no reason to ever complain about guests anymore. xD
  • How about make guests/new accounts ghosts to regular players and vice versa. They play with each other on the same map, but their bombs have no physical effect against each other or the bombs. Hard to explain, but if a guest's bombs blows up, it will not hurt the high ranked players or blowup their bombs either. Only effect they will have is with walls, picking up items, and kicking soccer balls. Basically they will be on the map killing only low ranked or guests, and higher ranked players can only kill higher ranked players. This allows new players to see how we operate and learn to play, and when they rank up they just lose spectrum on the new accounts and then only deal with higher ranked players. One thing that may have to change is goals would have to be a solid object to players, so no one stands on it. Bombs and balls can still go through.

Hope I portrayed the idea right.
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • @LazyABB But there's already so few players. There would be hardly anyone to fight anymore like that.

Also, I thought of another idea in addition to what I said above. If someone doesn't want to use a name, they could appear as "unnamed" or "anonymous". It should be an option available to both guests and registered accounts. Just make it so that anonymous people and guests still can't use chat.

The ranking system is such garbage. All it does is discourage people with high ranks from wanting to play on their normal account. It's much better to exploit the system and use lower accounts or guests so that people don't target you as much. Just look at JP and US server. As a result of this, there are fewer and fewer high rank accounts, and a higher percentage of low accounts and guests high on the scoreboard.

This is probably just a waste of time typing about this though. Everyone is happy complaining about things in the game without coming up with logical solutions that have been proven to work (in this game and other more popular browser games). And nobody likes my ideas anyway. Alright, let's just watch the game continue to die in it's current state then! : D
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • @pwnyy
    My wife said, that they could make it so all guests and new accounts should stay in the AI or tutorial server, till they reach a certain level. Guests could never come though since they should not level up anyways. This allows them to learn the game without harsh deaths consistently.

I don't mind the ranks that are their. It's like Halo and what not have ranks. Just shows how long you have been playing really. Doesn't need to be displayed during play, but can be in their profile somewhere. Most people know who has played for how long, and I like to go after the big guns cause that is tougher. It is also why I think they should make it so the top players in a round should be worth more points or kills or something like that. Would stop people attacking the players with less of a score. Guy with 50 kills almost every game is obviously targeting easy kills.
  • I have no problem with a rankings system. There's just no reason to see the ranking symbol during gameplay in this game. The game would be more balanced if guests could have their own name again, like it was in Bombermine. Then you could hunt someone based on their score instead of simply looking for known players. When '~guest54823' is getting 50 kills, it's kinda hard to find them with like 10 other ~guestxxxxx running around.

There should be an option for both guests and regular accounts to be equally anonymous if they want. The primary purpose of guest accounts should be to either try out the game or play without 'career' stats. Not to have the advantage of being the only anonymous players.

The servers are already split way too much. There's not enough players to keep splitting them even more. A lot of people want to log on and have instant pvp action.
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • pwnyy wrote: »
    Why does anyone have to see your rank symbol on the playing field? It's completely unnecessary and rankings are meaningless on the playing field anyway for obvious reasons.
    Well i used to just look at your rank to tell between you and mui, but now you're 4 stars too so that doesn't work :disappointed:
  • Ive also noticed on occasion that some other guest accounts are helping each other. If it's some sort of cult or something but if one is trapped other will save him if possible.
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • @pwnyy also being in the same server with new players isn't going to increase the population of players if those new players quit with in a week, we will still only have the hardcore players and fake newbies. If the fake newbies actually create real accounts and play only using one name the amount of players in the server will remain the same with the chance then of players wanting to play more afterwards. If we just let the new players give up with learning the basics then the game will never increase again.
  • I don't care about the fact that people can play as guest. I just think the game lacks personality when half of the players on the map are just ~guests with random numbers, instead of being able to make their own name.
  • Maybe a random name for guest accounts rather than guest#####, make it hideous names like Ifarted or sirpoopsalot, and they can change it when they register :tongue:
  • Can anyone give me an answer to my two original questions?

Why does everyone have to see your rank symbol on the playing field?
    Why are guest accounts all "~guestxxxxx" instead of being able to have their own personalized name?

Probably no one agrees with me, but I don't see any reason why guests should be given special recognition. I think they should look exactly the same as anyone else on the scoreboard and playing field. The whole point of my screenshot was that you can't tell who is or isn't a guest. None of the names are made to stand out as being a guest, and no ranking symbols were visible either.
  • I'd say the rank is there so new players know who the strong players are and should be wary of.
    The names probably aren't personalized because they where being used to troll and walk around with racist messages.
    Thanked by 1 server_down
  • Next annoying part is that guests when you find out that they not really new and you target them is they go and make another guest to switch their number so your don't know they switched. I think either removing guests and new players from the Mixed server and putting them either the monster room only, or creating a new area for them to battle to play would be best.

The next best thing is that they cannot get full power ups till they reach a certain length of game play or rank. Hopefully that will reduce the amount of guests being played by better players and give the new community a chance to experience the game without being murdered constantly.
  • edited July 2017
    LazyABB wrote: »
    Next annoying part is that guests when you find out that they not really new and you target them is they go and make another guest to switch their number so your don't know they switched. I think either removing guests and new players from the Mixed server and putting them either the monster room only, or creating a new area for them to battle to play would be best.

The next best thing is that they cannot get full power ups till they reach a certain length of game play or rank. Hopefully that will reduce the amount of guests being played by better players and give the new community a chance to experience the game without being murdered constantly.

Excuse_me kinda went over this
  • Hagelslag wrote: »
    I'd say the rank is there so new players know who the strong players are and should be wary of.
    The names probably aren't personalized because they where being used to troll and walk around with racist messages.

But someone can just use a fake account. Rank means absolutely nothing in this game. All it shows is who uses their real account the most. Almost everyone from rank 0-15 is nearly equal in skill level these days. Having a high rank in this game gives you no advantage. Only disadvantages because everyone will either run away from you, or team up to target you. If ranks must be displayed, there should be some advantage to balance it. Maybe there could at least be an option if you want your rank displayed or not? Or an option to play completely anonymously on your account. Why are only guests allowed to be anonymous? They get all of the special treatment for no reason. Guests do nothing to support the game.

It's the internet. Why is everyone here so sensitive to people who troll with names? If you can't handle racist trolls or profanity, you should probably stay far away from the internet. lol People create all kinds of troll accounts as it is anyway. It's called freedom of speech. If people want to make themselves look like a dumba**, why stop them? xD And just the fact that I had to censor that- there's way too much censorship on this game.

I just don't like how guests are given special treatment on this game. I guess guests are infallible. And if anyone questions that, they are automatically an idiot. Maybe everyone should just start spamming fake troll accounts or play as guest just to show how useless the naming and ranking systems are. xD And there's rarely ever a mod on some servers, so you can get away with almost anything >90% of the time.

I try to give helpful tips for the game, based on things that have worked before on this game and continue to work well on other games, but I guess everyone is satisfied with the status quo of the game continuing to decline with fewer and fewer players. No wonder people give up trying to help and just resort to trolling. xD
  • @HASHARAHHA14 I never saw that so I dunno. If players want to play anonymously then make a filter for the name that doesn't call it guest. Say Anon12345 to distinguish players who are normal players and those who are new. I am trying to resolve the issue of keep players in the game so we can get back up to 100 players servers again. Currently the most I see in a single game is 25 on a normal day. If we treat mew players as complete hostiles because I cannot tell the difference between new guests and expert guests most of them will stop playing completely before actually learning to survive.
  • @pwnyy yea, it would be a good idea to have an option to hide your rank in settings, guest have the advantage of people underestimating them (after awhile, players no longer under estimate them.... but I'm sure a lot of people still judge them to be rookies) meanwhile people are on guard, around people with a high rank... because they know how long they played (and that information, does give the person with a higher rank a disadvantage) I know when I see lowprofile... I know to get run away if I'm not up for a fight... or have a fun battle.... but when I see guest145345 I know, they could be a complete noob or they could be a muimui.... and playing defensively has its disadvantages... so you can't just do that for everyone... otherwise your just running away the entire game.... but unlike with people with high ranks.... if you go into battle mode... you might just be giving a new player a hard time... thinking their a 2 star. I don't think this will be a problem forever (It mostly effects new players) but I can see how its frustrating for some players as well... since guest scores can be inflated (because people will fall for the surprise factor... while noone will be surprised by a 2+ star completely destroying them, in fact... they'll probably just run) this has stopped bothering me now.... but I also play a lot less now... so I don't really notice it... and a few guest are friendly; that gives me false hope xD (and then I end up dying from a guest, because the last guest I ran into was partying)

tldr; guest do have an advantage because of their skill not being able to be gauged.... and it would be nice if ranks did more then just cosmetics, and guest make the hard experience of a new player... even tougher (some players would hunt rookies... now all players do... because they could be any rank :p)

@LazyABB I don't think changing it to Anonz12321 would be that good of a change... it use to be newbie, then people complained that newbie was misleading (if my memories correct) and it was changed to guest - which implies it could be anything

If your upset the devs won't implement your changes, there is kinda a solution
    make a bookmark, and inside of it put
    javascript: config.shownick=false;
    then when you spawn, click the bookmark

the downside to this is... you will probably kill your friends if they aren't wearing their usual skin, but I'm sure they'll understand

• I've put a lot of time into this game, so I just want to see things go well with it. Sorry if I come across as very aggressive in this thread. lol
    Thanked by 1 HASHARAHHA14
  • @HASHARAHHA14 For the Anon#####, I was saying as an example of what a registered account would use to hide himself. This will be something separate than a guest#####. I can take LazyABB and turn him into Anon##### for a few games. This allows players to know they I am a registered player and not a guest account. It doesn't have to be Anon#####, and whenever you select to be in that mode, you lose chat privilege to prevent trolling. Just saying to make an option on your profile page when you log in. The name will change every time you select yourself to be anonymous.

I still think the best option is to restrict Guest accounts and New accounts to the monster area and team area only. This will give new players a sample of the game and learn. Would also prevent players from constantly creating new accounts and switching up guest numbers every round.
    Thanked by 2 HASHARAHHA14 Ayakashi_
  • So the last time I brought up the problems with fake guests, the thread got locked and I was told that even mentioning the topic in the forums could/would lead to a ban from the forums.
    Interesting.
  • edited July 2017
    Oh look the thread is still up in the Dump.
    Excuse_Me wrote:
    Guests are going to stay and no arbitrary restrictions (such as no medals) will be added. This is the final answer and it's not up to debate.

As an irony, most (if not all) players who continue posting this issue on the forum, are severe chat trolls and/or makers of multiple accounts (maybe it's even one person), which is way worse then playing as a guest (which is harmless, really). Any further messages about it from any player may lead to a forum ban without additional warnings.
  • I never saw it @QuietTime and no mod had warned me on the subject. I am not harshly criticizing the idea of using guest accounts. Just trying to make it so that there is differentiate between actual new players and players who just want to play anonymously. This may help bring in more new players, and make players register and keep a single registered account. No mod has said anything yet, so I am assuming they are ignoring the subject, just haven't read it(which is doubtful), or they are actually taking consideration of the ideas. So until I hear a negative from them over it, keeping the thread going seems fine. I am not hating on them wanting to play anonymously, just that they are making it harder for new players to want to stay in the game, since strong players are treating all guests as equals, which means that the new guests are massacred.
  • Yeah, I hear ya.
    Not saying you should have posted in that one or anything, I just think it's indicative of the kind of wishy-washy moderation that runs this place.
    FWIW, I agree with the idea of changing up how anon registered players work.
    The current catch-all method is kinda crap lol.
This discussion has been closed.