Portals and rooms update

edited April 2017 in The Game
The open beta-test of the parts 2 and 3 of the PvP arena project has started! During the test, all users with the rank 8 and higher are given access to DEV server (later we'll lower the rank requirement). The stats on the DEV server are enabled, like on the other servers.

This is a big change, so some bugs are inevitable. Balance feedback and bugreports re welcomed!

This thread is a general discussion of the new features. For the features accessible only to the owners of personal rooms, please, see this thread.

There are multiple sub-rooms with different rules connected with portals. You can play in different game modes in one round.
While you are in [obs] mode, you can switch the room by clicking on their icons in the top-right corner. However, regardless of the selected room, you'll spawn in the default room or the last room you've been playing in.

Medals are distributed differently. The total number of the medals is the same. However, there are now separate medals for Teamplay and PvM modes. The algorithm is the following:
1. For each player, the room where they have spend the most time playing in this round is determined (sitting in the house does not count). We try to make separate lists for each game mode, with the number of medals proportional to the number of players who have spend the most time in this mode.
2. If there are less than 3 medals for any mode, the players from that mode are added to the list with the most players.
3. In each mode, players are ranked differently:
in PvP - by kills of players and bots (like it was previously; no changes here);
in PvM - by kills of monsters;
in Teamplay - by (kills of bots and players + number of flags captured).
4. When medals are given, near PvP and Teamplay medals an additional icon of a Jelly monster or a flag is displayed.

Comments

• I have rank 8 and i can't see DEV server in the list :|
  • I'm not sure if this is the cause or not, but it seems like the server crashes around the time when a room is added or removed from the server.
  • pwnyy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the cause or not, but it seems like the server crashes around the time when a room is added or removed from the server.

Update: I think it only happens when there is more than one room on the map.
  • I know I'm probably one of the only people who still uses it, but would it be possible to make this feature visible on the old HUD style? It was really confusing until I figured this out. xD
    f38lfnyw13d1.png
    jd8pg2s9uuee.png
    Thanked by 1 Gally
    new.png 32.8K
    old.png 474.7K
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    I have rank 8 and i can't see DEV server in the list :|
    Oh, sorry about that! I forgot to remove a bit of old code that blocked it. Please, reload the page and try again.
    I'm not sure if this is the cause or not, but it seems like the server crashes around the time when a room is added or removed from the server.
    Update: I think it only happens when there is more than one room on the map.
    I've just fixed 2 bugs responsible for the server crashes (not related directly to the personal room). Maybe it'll solve the problem.

If it happens again, please give more details about when does it happen (at the beginning/end of the round, or in the middle, what unusual things were happening on the server - map editing, bosses, etc.).
    Please, reload the page after the crash and see if the games instantly restores (than it's a client crash).

Two personal rooms at the same time seem to work fine. Technically the personal rooms are always added/removed in the beginning of the next round.

As for the old HUD - we can replace the right-top corner with the new style (with the room icons) and keep the left side (stats) the same.
    Thanked by 2 pwnyy Gally
  • Excuse_Me wrote: »
    As for the old HUD - we can replace the right-top corner with the new style (with the room icons) and keep the left side (stats) the same.

Yes, that would be fine. : )
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited April 2017
    Hey (: i really enjoyed it having my own room so far, it's great and makes a lot of fun! @pwnyy ;)

It's a really cool feature!!

I'd like to as a question and maybe report a bug, or name a missing feature, idk ;D In the Personal Room settings there is an option, where i can enter a number of bots. Since i dont like bots at all, i dont want to have them in my room, so i configured all of my rooms with "0"-Bots. But as the players can use the portal to enter my rooms, also the bots can do this.

Will the portals be restricted to work only for humans and not for bots in the future? (:
  • There's an update on the DEV server with fixes and small changes:
    - both old and new style HUD now use the same new-style upper-right corner (because of the clickable rooms icons);
    - egg bomb's and ulra bomb's not working fixed;
    - bots now don't enter portals (except for the bosses, they walk wherever they want);
    - football balls now have separate limits in each room;
    - plutonium now spawns only in the PvP room;
    - regeneration happens once per 5 minutes even when not much damage was made to a chunk of the game field (this should help with some custom maps not always regenerating);
    - red chests can be opened now;
    - rank restriction for the DEV server is reduced from 8 to 4.

Please, reload the site if you visit the DEV server.
  • edited April 2017
    The portal behavior has been changed:
    - when players jump or throw balls into portals from the side (over the wall), they go through the portal to the other room as expected (previously players were randomly teleported and balls were destroyed).
    - the bombs thrown over the portals walls are still safely destroyed, as in the previous version. Otherwise some players would throw bombs into the portals non-stop and it would seriously spoil the game.

Don't forget to reaload the site if you're visiting the DEV server (CTRL+F5), otherwise the client would crash!
  • While playing, I noticed that the perks in the DEV server aren't unlimited anymore. Is this an accident or something that is meant to stay (as I really like having unlimited perks)?
  • I didn't know the perks are not ∞ anymore in dev server and I used the rare perks (nuclear bomb)... Please give 3 nuclear bomb perks back to me...
  • The perks on DEV are infinite again.
    @DJ_Kinky 3 ultra bombs are returned.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

The update is now on EU, and after some more feedback and balance tweaking it will be on all servers. Personal rooms will be also moved from DEV to the normal servers.
    Thanked by 2 _DJ Gally
  • @Excuse_Me
    Thank you very much! I love you!
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited May 2017
    ok there is definitely a bug in mixed rooms [EU] server. When changing rooms via portal sometimes it will disconnect me then say 'entering server' then it will load up the new room. I think it happened when the ma turns because of a mirror room.

Before mixed room there was times when on a mirror map I would die and then the map would change orientation [like 90 degrees]. It seems to be a combination of this effect and entering a portal that is causing this bug. [if that is any help]
  • Another bug (could be on my side of the game and not the server though): The developmental/developer server is intermittently crashing in the middle of the game. I cannot discern the cause of it, unfortunately, but my best guess is a connection error (I know this is super general).
  • edited May 2017
    ok there is definitely a bug in mixed rooms [EU] server. When changing rooms via portal sometimes it will disconnect me then say 'entering server' then it will load up the new room. I think it happened when the ma turns because of a mirror room.
    Thank you! Will look into that!
    As always, if it happens again, please, send me an error message from your console.

Does anyone else experience it?
    Another bug (could be on my side of the game and not the server though): The developmental/developer server is intermittently crashing in the middle of the game.
    Thanks! It's not up-to-date. The latest changes are on EU now.
    Thanked by 2 rp1 Gally
  • Gally wrote: »

Before mixed room there was times when on a mirror map I would die and then the map would change orientation [like 90 degrees]. It seems to be a combination of this effect and entering a portal that is causing this bug. [if that is any help]

Thanks @Excuse_Me for fixing this bug :)
  • edited June 2017
    Just wanted to say that I like the feature that allows monsters/bots to rarely cross the portals. Usually they just stay in "their" rooms, but yesterday I saw a tank cross into the hard core room (it didn't last too long, and then after dying it presumably respawns in the monster room, because I never saw it again.) And then this morning i saw bot15 in the monster room , the awesome/cool thing about it was that it had yellow dots on their bombs like the humans :) So it was bot & human VS monster!!!! nice job! Very cool feature...
    Thanked by 1 pwnyy
  • Bots & regular monsters don't want to enter portals, but physically the can pass. For example, it happens when they fly after taking blue bomb or from a regenerating structure and land inside a portal. After death they respawn in their old room.

Bosses can enter portals freely.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • I think, players should be able to select in profile settings, in which room they want to start a game. There is a problem, that player respawns at the beginning of new round in the room he finished playing in the previous round. And then player digs, digs, digs... to reach a portal and go to his usual room. There can be perks for this round selected too, and player just spends these perks senselessly.
    Thanked by 3 Gally rp1 Jimmy_Scissors
  • Yo :smile:
    Serega wrote: »
    I think, players should be able to select in profile settings, in which room they want to start a game. There is a problem, that player respawns at the beginning of new round in the room he finished playing in the previous round. And then player digs, digs, digs... to reach a portal and go to his usual room. There can be perks for this round selected too, and player just spends these perks senselessly.

This a serious issue faced by many players. They are still not able to select the room at the beginning of the round. :neutral:
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited June 2017
    In the next update (which is on EU today and will be on other servers tomorrow) the room is memorized permanently, even after you exit the game. If you enter some room (say, teamplay) once and don't leave it, you'll always respawn in it and will never have to dig your way into it.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • There are times when players will stand near robot portals and an Orb will charge up a shot and be able to shoot a player standing 2 tiles away from the entrance to the robot portal. Also, Orbs are able to shoot creatures and players when they appear with their invincibility.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited July 2017
    Hi. Nowadays one of players in JP srv uses Pacifism and tries to buck up games.
    Everyone no longer enjoys it. It's time to make it disable or set rational regulation. Thanks.
    Thanked by 1 Egotistical
  • @Excuse_Me can you make it so when going into an arena that you are invincible while standing on the platform? This will stop the campers from preventing players waiting to go in,
  • It should also make you stuck in the platform tho. Otherwise people will abuse it.
  • TsarBomba_ wrote: »
    It should also make you stuck in the platform tho. Otherwise people will abuse it.

I was thinking you have to stand on it for like 5 seconds before becoming invincible, and maybe if no one comes or you decide to just jump off you can't lay bombs for 5 seconds. I think that will help with abusers.
  • What is going on with the Orbs? I've repeatedly had them spawn near me and charge and kill me, while invincible, in less than 3 seconds.
  • 1 month later
  • LazyABB wrote: »
    Excuse_Me can you make it so when going into an arena that you are invincible while standing on the platform? This will stop the campers from preventing players waiting to go in,

LOL so pathetic this anti competitive behavior is why the game is dying
    down with this isht