Merging servers - US Mixed W/ US TeamPlay EU Mixed W/ EU TeamPlay

edited September 2017 in The Game
We need some opinions! Would anyone be apposed to the idea of merging US TeamPlay server with Hardcore - (Similar to how there is a portal to monster room, there would be a portal to TeamPlay) If you want an example of how this would look - Check our RU server for an example!

Input would greatly be appreciated, if you have some pro's/cons please comment here and I will edit them into this post for easier reference!

Pros
  • Game modes are more easily "accessable", (no need to go through different "servers", simply click on the TeamPlay symbol like you would monster area)
  • Moderation wise, it would use same chat. (Could be a problem in the future, for now though it's easy enough)
  • Would boost "server count" meaning better chance for medals, and related game mechanics.

Cons
  • Chats would be combined (in the future it may be cluttered. However, to prevent this we could make switches below chat for "hardcore"/monster/teamplay/etc)

Links to threads related to this topic:

Mixed RU thread
Other Related TeamPlay thread
Thanked by 1 HASHARAHHA14

Comments

• They originally did that on US server, but there was some issues with medal placement and something else I don't remember.
  • Maybe it would be a better idea to remove the US tutorial, it would probably decrease lag for the other two rooms
    and new players who live in the states will instead be taken to BR_TUT (because BR is not too far and wont cause any noticable lag for North Americans) and after completing it, they are redirected to US server as normal
  • they've done this before, and they should have left it that way the first time.
  • edited September 2017
    LazyABB wrote: »
    They originally did that on US server, but there was some issues with medal placement and something else I don't remember.

Hmm. Do you remember the problem with medal placement?
    FLOOFY wrote: »
    Maybe it would be a better idea to remove the US tutorial, it would probably decrease lag for the other two rooms
    and new players who live in the states will instead be taken to BR_TUT (because BR is not too far and wont cause any noticable lag for North Americans) and after completing it, they are redirected to US server as normal

4,903 miles (7890Km) to Eruope (from the states)
    4,544 miles (7312Km) to Brazil (from the states)

Distance-wise Brazil is almost equal to Europe. We'll see what we can do about Tut. servers later. (They can be improved, maybe given a small clearing for players to practice rather than being alone on a server)
  • edited September 2017
    there was no such problem. its same as is now. medal placement is different in monster portal versus main room, within same server. non issue. (go in the different portals within one server and you see a different ranking system is employed within each portal, nothing new)

a better question is which turrets to use in the team play portal, there have been several turrets over the years

I just checked the portals in RU they are ugly. The new portals in US and everywhere are ugly. Please revert to the original portals.
  • @OmegaKnight I don't remember. I know some people complained about things so they separated it.
  • EU server is way less laggy than BR for me. I have like 200-300 ping in BR, and like 100 in EU (under optimal conditions).
  • I like the RU one. Just like some of you mentioned above, we had that in US server for a short period, and I really liked that.
    But, I don't really see the point of combining the teamplay flag game to the main one as they are so different games and people who are playing the teamplay flag one would not think about coming and play the main one. The other way is the same thing. Each GoB round is short (15minutes) enough. so if they want to play in another room, they should probably just do it in next round or something. Also, as someone mentioned above, the ranking system was confusing. One day, I was playing in the flag room, and easily beating the other people. Somehow, I became the first or second prize in the round which was combined to the main room which was played by 25+ players. I did not think my prize was fair to the others. so, in my opinion, there is no need to combine them together.

OR

I kind of like an idea of having teamplay flag game as a map. Just like we get different map every round, I think it would be fun to have teamplay flag game maybe once in 20 games or something. :D
  • edited September 2017
    I do support the idea as well. EU was merged once and has been re-separeted as well. I am sure that there was a reason for that (@Excuse_Me ?)

There are a few more disadvantages though that come to mind:
    - people coming from regular to teamplay in order to recharge on shields and blue bombs -> save blue bombs and shields for each room seperately (or all power-ups for that matter)
    - people coming and going in teamplay caused the teams to be massively unbalanced all the time -> team bots / auto balance (however autobalance sucks a bit because you would have to play against the defense you built up yourself - at worst multiple times throughout a match...)
  • edited September 2017
    The reason for separate team rooms on EU and US was that a few players petitioned against merging (those old threads should be still on the forum) and there was much less support for merging. So we did what players asked for.

If this time the situation is different, we can merge the rooms again. But to avoid cries "it's bad, everyone dislikes it", it's important that enough players voice their opinions. We'll do it only if the majory prefers it. Please, spread the word. Let players who play in team rooms come and vote (either for or against it).

When you vote, please, specify the server: EU or US. If the results are different for US and EU, we may change only one server. Please, also specify if you usually play in teamplay, because opinions of team players is more important, they were against it the last time.
    - people coming from regular to teamplay in order to recharge on shields and blue bombs -> save blue bombs and shields for each room seperately (or all power-ups for that matter)
    That's been addressed for a long time: if you leave teamplay with more blue bombs or a shield that you didn't have when you entered, you lose those extra blue bombs and/or shield (the exception is autoshield from a perk). If a players would lose items upon crossing a portal, they see a "dangerous" yellow-black stripe across the portal.
    Maybe it would be a better idea to remove the US tutorial, it would probably decrease lag for the other two rooms
    Tutorial room doesn't affect lag at all.
  • Excuse_Me wrote: »
    The reason for separate team rooms on EU and US was that a few players petitioned against merging (those old threads should be still on the forum) and there was much less support for merging. So we did what players asked for.

If this time the situation is different, we can merge the rooms again. But to avoid cries "it's bad, everyone dislikes it", it's important that enough players voice their opinions. We'll do it only if the majory prefers it. Please, spread the word. Let players who play in team rooms come and vote (either for or against it).

When you vote, please, specify the server: EU or US. If the results are different for US and EU, we may change only one server. Please, also specify if you usually play in teamplay, because opinions of team players is more important, they were against it the last time.
    That's been addressed for a long time: if you leave teamplay with more blue bombs or a shield that you didn't have when you entered, you lose those extra blue bombs and/or shield (the exception is autoshield from a perk). If a players would lose items upon crossing a portal, they see a "dangerous" yellow-black stripe across the portal.
    Tutorial room doesn't affect lag at all.

Based on the 12 (max) people who will chime in on the forums, you will have no idea what the MAJORITY prefers. But I vote merger on US. Please also consider creating a perk-free server, I bet that would get a lot of votes if GOB is now supposed to be democratic
  • I would like it to be merged. I feel the team mode has more players when they are merged and it is easier to switch between modes.
    Thanked by 1 BabyThanos
  • Yes, it should be merged. Remember the time when team play is the main server and everyone will just play on teamplay rather than hardcore. Some people are just too lazy to switch to other mode. I think merging can help boosting the number of players in team play!
    Thanked by 1 BabyThanos
  • I think people complained about having to start in the hardcore room to get to the main room before... but now that's fixed, so it shouldn't be a real problem now (some would probably argue, being able to escape through the portals - or easier item collection) but since shields don't transfer through portals now (I think it's a pretty good idea)
  • I think it would be cool to merge the whole thing, the problem is the portals. One of my main concerns is that when plutonium spawns and you get bounced, I often land inside the portal to another game, and then I can't ever get back to the one I was originally playing. Honestly, with my own opinion, I believe that you should keep all of the games to themselves, mainly because it would be easier to switch by hitting which game mode you wanted to play in from the start, rather than having to find the portal for it in game. Just my thoughts, let me know what you think :p
  • Also due to the issue of lag, I would think that it would be better to keep each server to itself, Like I said, it's easy enough to keep each game separate and have players click on which game they would like to choose from the beginning in the main menu screen.
  • Happy with more people in the Teamplay.
  • I usually play in teamplay (EU and US) and I really like that.
    I will be happy if there are more people in the Teamplay but I don't think merging is the solution. If people want to play in Teamplay, they can choose the room.
    And for me, if it's merge, I don't want to waiste my time to find the teamplay portal..
  • Cilonan wrote: »
    I usually play in teamplay (EU and US) and I really like that.
    I will be happy if there are more people in the Teamplay but I don't think merging is the solution. If people want to play in Teamplay, they can choose the room.
    And for me, if it's merge, I don't want to waiste my time to find the teamplay portal..

your room is now saved, so when you rejoin (it'll take you back to the teamplay room)
    Thanked by 2 Cilonan Gally