Red fortresses vs. Color blindness

edited May 2017 in The Game
About 10% of men and 0.5% of women have a color vision deficiency.
Red deficiency is the most common (with the green).
I'm not completely red-blind but I'm one of them.

At the time when there were a normal/hardcore server + a capture-the-flags server, the main reason I wasn't playing on the capture-the-flags one is that when I was blue or purple, I couldn't distinguish my allies from my blue or purple enemies.

Now, this problem is no longer (since there is only red/blue).
But when I'm blue, I can hardly see the transparent barriers of the red fortresses (with 2 flags, 2 chests + 2 items in it).

For me, this transparent red is hard like seeing a 98% ligthgray (#F9F9F9) on a white (#FFFFFF) background.
When I'm blocked, I realize, but that's not funny.
And sometimes I start to weaken torrets without noticing there is a missing barrier on another side of the fortress.

The state of the torrets can't help as much as changing something with the transparent red barriers.
When I try to break a torret, I have look at the torret to see its state, but when I want to go though the place of the barriers, it's not easy to check quickly the state of the 2 torrets.
In fact it's not easy as well to see their state.
It's easier than the transparent red barriers but not as much as it would with a white/black damage bar.
For me, their state is "easy" to see about like a 28% darkgray (#484848) vs. the current 16% darkgray (#292929).

Some easy solutions could be to:
  • choose another color for the red team: Yellow is the best choice because the yellow-blue confusion is extremely rare (the rarest of all variants of color blindness).
  • use already existing surfaces: red/blue surfaces while filtering the players, and uncolored when not filtering. mijkqwm1xzac.png But it would change their meaning, confusing.
This is what it would look like with the second solution (with a bad montage):
ir2sudlnl9ci.png
Thanked by 2 Hagelslag Gally

Comments

• We can make an option in the profile. When it's selected, some tiles are modified, for example, a letter R will be written on them. It'll not be pretty, but it'll work. I'll see what I can do.
    Thanked by 3 syme ham Gally
  • edited May 2017
    From the time I posted, I've made new tiles (not confusing with the already existing ones) but I don't know if it would be easy to add :)
    lf8jwcwhqrkw.png
    scl6232em8z2.png
    Thanked by 2 pwnyy Gally
  • edited May 2017
    Thank you! These tiles look nice, although a bit distracting! We'll leave the old tiles in the normal (non-colorblind) mode and add these to colorblind mode. I'll add the colorblind mode in 1-2 weeks.
    Thanked by 4 pwnyy syme Hagelslag Gally
  • I don't think there are distracting, but maybe you'll prefer those :smile: :
    ibk8q5c2u1ya.png
    jga82vnmqw9h.png
    nvufqr26t6sv.png
    4cw09tmyetc3.png
    But that's more tiles.
    Horizontal arrows for the vertical barriers of the fortress and vertical arrows for the horizontal barriers.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited June 2017
    Now purple came back it's a hell... and this room can not be ignored anymore. (As I ignored the old server.)
    When I'm blue or purple, I don't know who are my blue or purple allies and who are my purple or blue enemies, and which places are blue or purple.
    What a bad color choice... I think red/blue/yellow/white would be better.
    And, this is another subject (already posted) but 4 teams is often too many.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • I agree with Syme since I have a family member who suffers from color blindness. His graphics look far more polished and ready for the game and really are not busy at all.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • @Unadulterated I don't see what's the aim of your comment... telling your life / your family member's life doesn't bring anything.
  • syme wrote: »
    @Unadulterated I don't see what's the aim of your comment... telling your life / your family member's life doesn't bring anything.

I was sharing that because I have personal experience with someone who suffers from the same thing you do. However I am now changing what I said since it appears you have a hard time with interpreting context so I wish to never have to deal with that from you again.
  • Since apparently it is impossible to edit things here I would like to redact my previous statement and instead put my weight behind the obvious confusing graphics the DEVS developed as the superior version for the game.
    Thanked by 1 Gally