Big balance changes: less hardcore, easier for new players

edited August 2017 in News
1. The number of items lost when dying is reduced if a player has a low (kills - deaths) number in a round. If this number is 0 or less, the chances of losing kick and speed are reduced by 50%. When (kills - deaths) is high enough, the chances of losing items are the same as before. It'll help weak players and players who entered a round recently and haven't made enough kills.

2. Most bots were dumbed down (made weaker), now they have different visible ranks indicating their strength.

These change should make the game easier and more enjoyable for inexperienced players. They will keep more items after dying (speed and kick is especially important for survival) and will have easier time on servers with bots. On the other had, these change will help strong players who rarely die much less.

Right now these changes are active on ID, EU, RU and US servers.

The numbers are not final. Are the changes too big and need to be tuned down?

Please, share your feedback!

Comments

  • The chances of losing kick are better. Before it seemed to be like almost 100% of the time I lost kick when died.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited August 2017
    LazyABB wrote: »
    The chances of losing kick are better. Before it seemed to be like almost 100% of the time I lost kick when died.
    Unfortunately, it really was almost 100% since Autumn 2016 due to unintentional change. That was reverted to 50% a week ago, as it should have been. The current change reduces it even further, but only for players who have more deaths than kills in a round.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • Update: yesterday the death penalties reduction was too high for strong players. Now it's changed so they lose roughly as much as before.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • I noticed the change in penalty when I played today. I approve, thanks! =)
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • 1. That policy inadvertently strengthened spam killing as a strategy. It has been really noticeable how much easier it is now.
    2. Ok... Can you do something to make fake guests have different visible ranks indicating their strength? The top 3 medalists were guests in one round today. Lame.
  • Thanks for pointing this thread out @OttoWarmbier

    @Excuse_Me I think an inadvertent result of altering the chances of losing kick is that now you've got a big increase in players that are suiciding.
    It's a pretty weak tactic, and tends to screw up gameplay for others.
    Further, it pretty much makes kills meaningless.
    How skillful is it, really, to have just as many deaths as kills?
    Is there a way that you can adjust scoring to reflect this?
    IE, why not factor in deaths, not just kills, in scoring/ranking?
    For example:

    Player A finishes the round with 20 kills and 4 deaths. Not bad.
    But Player B finishes with 21 kills, and 20 deaths.

    Obviously, Player A played a better round overall. But Player B is rewarded more than Player A.

    This seems pretty upside down to me.
  • I would also point out I disagree entirely! I think the rule as is helps noobs and even experienced players who enter the round late. No more rule changes!
  • 2. Ok... Can you do something to make fake guests have different visible ranks indicating their strength? The top 3 medalists were guests in one round today. Lame.

    bump
  • Bring back the old "heart" system. If someone suicides without a heart powerup, they come back with 1 bomb, 2 flames. : p
    Thanked by 3 0x42 Gally Hayduke
  • pwnyy wrote: »
    Bring back the old "heart" system. If someone suicides without a heart powerup, they come back with 1 bomb, 2 flames. : p

    Heck, that'd work.
    It would sure discourage this suiciding nonsense that happens EVERY SINGLE ROUND now.
  • I would also point out I disagree entirely! I think the rule as is helps noobs and even experienced players who enter the round late. No more rule changes!

    You disagree entirely because nine out of ten rounds, you're suiciding the whole time.
  • No. Bringing back heart would not work, in fact it might make it worse. Because if YOU get suicided before you find a heart, you keep nothing, where as the "suiciding" player might always pick one up and then suicide again.

    The newer system is geared towards helping newbie players starting off, better players lose more where as not as good players keep more and don't get punished as harshly.
    Thanked by 4 pwnyy ham Gally Excuse_Me
  • But obviously, the new system is being exploited by those that don't want to bother putting in the effort to be better.
    "Hey, I can just blow MYSELF up every time I get someone else, and there's no penalty!"

    And I was being facetious with the heart thing. :D
    Thanked by 1 pwnyy
  • No. Bringing back heart would not work, in fact it might make it worse. Because if YOU get suicided before you find a heart, you keep nothing, where as the "suiciding" player might always pick one up and then suicide again.

    The newer system is geared towards helping newbie players starting off, better players lose more where as not as good players keep more and don't get punished as harshly.

    - the new system doesn't work, i can make a suicide round, ending up even first
    - a better system would be: everytime you die, you start from zero, zero being determined by the time on the round
    - - at start nothing
    - - at middle add some skates or bombs

    Also, some other things/reasons why this project is closing soon:
    - you dont listen to the community! make a poll and let people add options!
    - servers with less then 10 players are empty because everyone knows pluto will spawn too rarely.
    - use less servers but make them better! EU-RU-US, period

    For final, active users are to record low, now or never to save this.
    Thanked by 1 pwnyy
  • 1_i wrote: »
    - servers with less then 10 players are empty because everyone knows pluto will spawn too rarely.
    I usually only need 1 other high rank player for pluto to spawn for me. Pluto spawn depends on rank and how long you continuous play to something like that.
  • pwnyy wrote: »
    Bring back the old "heart" system. If someone suicides without a heart powerup, they come back with 1 bomb, 2 flames. : p
    The heart was removed because it was helping strong players more then weak players: those who die rarely usually have a heart and lose even less; those who die frequently usually don't have it and lose even more.
    1_i wrote: »
    - a better system would be: everytime you die, you start from zero, zero being determined by the time on the round
    That's a good idea!
    1_i wrote: »
    servers with less then 10 players are empty because everyone knows pluto will spawn too rarely.
    There is less pluto overall, but more pluto per player. While it doesn't spawn each round, when it does, the chance of getting it is higher. A normal player (not a skilled pluto hunter who can take it most of the time) would get more pluto per round on small servers.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • There is more pluto x player just because there are less players day by day.
  • Excuse_Me wrote: »
    LazyABB wrote: »
    The chances of losing kick are better. Before it seemed to be like almost 100% of the time I lost kick when died.
    Unfortunately, it really was almost 100% since Autumn 2016 due to unintentional change. That was reverted to 50% a week ago, as it should have been. The current change reduces it even further, but only for players who have more deaths than kills in a round.

    Are you guys doing anything or not??? All these balance changes sucks, I've been playing as guest just randomly killing myself and suiciding, seriously. just running around without any regard of bombs.
    you die = you don't loose anything
    you kill = the others loose

    Like seriously, read the chat, THERE MUST be a difference for experienced and non experienced players, if you make it like this, then everyone just go guest and forget about pluto and other things, and then I want to see how you monetize. DO SOMETHING and respect the community!!!!

    zmxqu1lgxgtk.png


  • Today the formula for calculating items loss on death has been changed. Now it depends much less on the number of deaths and more on the number of kills. Players with few kills lose less items, but players with high number of kills lose items as usual even if they have many deaths. That still helps weak players, but makes suicide bombings a less viable tactics for winning.

    It also doesn't prevent bombs and power loss now, affects only speed and kicker. That helps survive after a death, but doesn't help killing.
  • I think stupid because if you are in lead with small death some loser comes suicides you and then you are in bad position to climb back up. stupid idea.
  • also has not helped with suiciding players, think even has got worsed
Sign In or Register to comment.