Arenas

edited May 2017 in The Game
The arena is currently being tested on the DEV server (without stats). DEV server is now accessible to all players with rank 8 or more. More features will be added (new ranking, more options) and the tile sprites will be replaced (these are just for testing).

For information about how to configure and edit arenas, see this thread.

To enter the arena, several players must stand on teleport tiles simultaneously (in the testing version, teleports are just "T" letters). Only registered players with rank 6 or more and not transformed (santa, nyan, spider, etc.) can enter arenas. Exactly one player must stand on each teleport. How many players can enter and whether they fight for themselves or in teams is determined by the arena's creator.

Once inside the arena, players fight until only one player (or one team for teamplay arenas) remains alive. After all the opponents are defeated, a player must stay alive for another 4 seconds to be declared a winner (otherwise the match is considered a draw).

Pressing i and entering /obs doen't work on arenas. Powerful boss perks also don't work, but normal perks do. Each player is given a shied upon entering the arena, and the number of bombs, rollers, bats and power is equalized between all players.

Bugreports and balance feedback is welcomed!

Comments

• Is there any way to save arena maps? /savemap didn't work for mine, and the map is totally blank again.
    Thanked by 2 Gally Lobo_Mau
  • _DJ_DJ
    edited May 2017
    I can't play on the DEV server because of endless reconnecting... :'(
    When I respawn, endless reconnecting happens.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • pwnyy wrote: »
    Is there any way to save arena maps? /savemap didn't work for mine, and the map is totally blank again.
    Arena maps can be saved and opened only when they have a correct number of starting points (for example, 2 yellow circles). It's described in more details here. Look at the two existing arenas, they have a correct number of starting points and were saved. If the number of starting points is incorrect, SERVER gives a message to the chat. If the map has correct starting points and still can't be saved, please, take a screenshot of the whole map and a chat message.
    DJ_Kinky wrote: »
    I can't play on the DEV server because of endless reconnecting... :'(
    When I respawn, endless reconnecting happens.
    Try reloading the page (CTRL+F5).
    Thanked by 2 pwnyy Gally
  • _DJ_DJ
    edited May 2017
    I found that when I respawn with perks, endless reconnecting happens. And with no perks, it doesn't happen.
    In the case that it happens, reloading doesn't resolve the problem (maybe until the round ends).
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • Excuse_Me wrote: »
    Arena maps can be saved and opened only when they have a correct number of starting points (for example, 2 yellow circles). It's described in more details here. Look at the two existing arenas, they have a correct number of starting points and were saved. If the number of starting points is incorrect, SERVER gives a message to the chat. If the map has correct starting points and still can't be saved, please, take a screenshot of the whole map and a chat message.

ah thanks! I had like 4 spawn points. haha
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • DJ_Kinky wrote: »
    I found that when I respawn with perks, endless reconnecting happens. And with no perks, it doesn't happen.
    In the case that it happens, reloading doesn't resolve the problem (maybe until the round ends).

And now I found it happened with ultra bomb perks.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • @DJ_Kinky thank you a lot for the help!
    It's fixed, please, reload the page (CTRL+F5) and try again.
    Thanked by 2 _DJ Gally
  • edited May 2017
    Arenas are one step from being opened on all servers.

Right now we need a nice selection of arena maps (of different sizes, for different number of players). They will be chosen randomly each round.

Every player who can enter DEV server can create arena maps which will be used in the game!

How to create an arena map:
    1. Go to DEV server.
    2a. Start editing one of the 3 arena rooms by entering one of 3 commands:
    /editmap Arena_16
    /editmap Arena_24
    /editmap Arena_32
    (each room is for maps of a particular size)
    2b. If a map is already in editing mode, simply choose it by entering one of 3 commands:
    /choosemap Arena_16
    /choosemap Arena_24
    /choosemap Arena_32
    Don't worry if it already contains map, just draw on top of it. All maps are saved and it's impossible to corrupt previously saved good map.
    3. Create the map as described in this thread.
    4. After the map is finished, enter /proposemap command. It will save the map and the map will be waiting to be manually checked and approved for use on the arenas. You can use /proposemap maximum once per round (this is to prevent spam of low-quality maps).
    5. Once you finished the editing, open the map with /openmap command.

What are the requirements for good arena maps?
    1. The players from the different spawn points must be able to meet without jumping and hours of digging through concrete walls.
    2. Starting locations of different factions should be somehow separated. It should be impossible to start throwing bombs to the other location right after teleportation to the arena.
    3. The starting conditions must be balanced. For example, if one party is surrounded by tough bricks, and the other - by normal bricks, it's bad. Symmetrical maps are good, but it's not necessary.
    4. Don't overuse colorful and blocks, flags, etc.
    5. Use small maps for duels and larger maps for 3, 4 or 6 players.
    Thanked by 2 pwnyy CrashMaxxXx
  • The creation of arena maps on DEV server is temporarily suspended (not many players have tried anyway).
    We'll add 2 additional winning conditions: destroying a team castle and digging a prize. It will ensure that matches don't go on forever if one player is just running away.
  • Excuse_Me wrote: »
    The creation of arena maps on DEV server is temporarily suspended (not many players have tried anyway).
    We'll add 2 additional winning conditions: destroying a team castle and digging a prize. It will ensure that matches don't go on forever if one player is just running away.

Only read this message (and the one above it) today ....
  • The areans that were created by players. When will they be ready for use.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • Hippo12369 wrote: »
    The areans that were created by players. When will they be ready for use.
    Most likely less than in a week.

The maps were created mostly by @CyJey and @LilKat, great thanks to them!
    Thanked by 2 pwnyy Gally
  • Maybe, at some point in time (however far off that may be), arenas could be added to normal rooms. This would make it possible to actually duel someone in the arena because, as of when this was posted here, barely anyone uses the DEV server.
    Thanks for considering this :smile:
  • Of course, they will be on the normal servers.
    DEV is only for development, testing and preview of the new features.
  • edited May 2017
    Update: the creation of maps on DEV severs is enabled again.

There are new features which add extra winning conditions:
    1. Team castles that must be destroyed. When all castles one team are destroyed, it loses. They can be placed only on teamplay arenas and there must be equal number of red and blue castles, up to 6 each.
    2. A golden cup that must be taken. If a player or a team takes the cup, they win. A single cup can be added to any arena.
    Both features are optional, but highly recommended to use (otherwise a match may take too long if players can't "catch" and kill each other).

Now turrets can be added to arenas (they don't belong to teams and attack anyone). There are 3 types of turrets: slow, average and fast. "Slow" turrets are exactly like those placed into map corners on the normal maps. "average" turrets shoot 2 times faster and have +1 radius; "fast" turrets shoot 3 (not 4, as was stated previously) times faster and have +2 radius.

So far, maps were created by @LilKat, @CyJey, @_Lilian_, @Hippo12369, @_Marihuana_. Great maps! Thank you!
  • Isn't there an option to clean a map. It takes too much time to clean a map.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited May 2017
    /fillmap command cleans the map (fills it with any tile you choose).

The link to the forum thread with this and other useful commands is in the 1st post.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • There's no possibility to undo last action. So I have incorrect mirrored map and filled part of map was overwritten with empty part :( My ears are so sad...
    Also it has a sense to explain in your post how /mirromap works: is source or target part of map as argument defined.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • Serega wrote: »
    There's no possibility to undo last action. So I have incorrect mirrored map and filled part of map was overwritten with empty part :( My ears are so sad...
    Also it has a sense to explain in your post how /mirromap works: is source or target part of map as argument defined.

haha I did that too. [twice]
    Thanked by 1 CrashMaxxXx
  • edited May 2017
    @Serega @Gally I've added the explanation to /mirror command and I'll add /undo command in the next version. It will be limited to cancelling wrong mirroring and filling, not cancelling placing tiles.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • Don't we have to destroy all the castles of the other team? If there is a match of 2x2, the other team will obviously attack the player who doesn't play good to win by destroying his castle.
  • Hippo12369 wrote: »
    Don't we have to destroy all the castles of the other team?
    We do.
    Hippo12369 wrote: »
    If there is a match of 2x2, the other team will obviously attack the player who doesn't play good to win by destroying his castle.
    Castles belong to a whole team, not to team members. The initial number of castles on some maps is not equal to the number of players.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited May 2017
    The arena is opened on EU again.

Arenas now support football! It's quite simple: a player or a team who scores the goal, wins.

To make a football arena, just place some "ball" or "J.ball" (jelly ball) tiles and gates and it's done! It can be combined with a cup and/or castles.

There is a distinct lack of football arenas, we need more of them!
    Thanked by 3 Lilu 0x42 Gally
  • Creating arenas of size 32 was disabled because too many submitted big maps are mostly empty and not as good as smaller maps.
  • are these arenas in EU totally random? Or they appear according to no. of players playing? Cuz arena of 6 players wont do any good if there are only 10 players on the field and few of them are in other rooms too.
    Thanked by 1 Gally
  • edited May 2017
    They are totally random. If there are not enough players, they can just play without an arena. Arenas will stay forever, there will be no shortage of rounds with samll arenas.

To everyone who makes arenas
    We gathered some experience of which maps are playable and which are not.
    Don't do this:
    - any maps until you played at least on 10 different maps and have a good conception of how they are played;
    - big, empty spaces;
    - maps without a clear strategy in mind; just adding some points/goals/castels here and there and filling the rest with some random blocks isn't really that fun to play;
    - maps where each team just run in its own direction and destroys castles or cup without much interaction;
    - too much colorful and unusual blocks;

Do this:
    - maps with nice idea of how they should be played. Imagine what players will be doing, not how the map looks.
    - smaller maps;
    - tight spaces, narrow corridors of tough or indestructible blocks where it's easy to catch and kill other players;
    - more maps with football! It should be neither too hard or too easy to score a goal.
  • I have a question. How much score do you get if you win an arena battle?
  • Suggestion: while waiting for match to start (thus: while one is sitting still), it should not be possible to get killed by bombs from others. Now I see ppl waiting to get enough players to start a match, and getting lamekilled. Can there be a non-bomb area, containing players that wait for a match to start?
    Thanked by 2 ham arsus
  • _Salty_ wrote: »
    Suggestion: while waiting for match to start (thus: while one is sitting still), it should not be possible to get killed by bombs from others. Now I see ppl waiting to get enough players to start a match, and getting lamekilled. Can there be a non-bomb area, containing players that wait for a match to start?

I saw this and didn't like it either! If it's possible, maybe shield should be turned on in that area? I know people can use it to run in to so they are safe from bombs ... but still open to ideas :)
  • edited May 2017
    _Salty_ wrote: »
    Suggestion: while waiting for match to start (thus: while one is sitting still), it should not be possible to get killed by bombs from others.
    Players who are waiting for game start, must defend themselves. I think, several players, especially with bonuses, can kill one or two other players who disturb them =) In my opinion, area where players are waiting for arena game must not give them shield or something like that.
    P.S. Yes, I like to kill everyone and everywhere)))
    Thanked by 1 Gally