DEV server leak

edited April 2017 in Technical
Yesterdey i could try DEV server and i've found some bugs
1. When i used a jet-pack to jump into a portal i thought that i was going to change room but when i did it i fell in a random place at the same room
2. It was difficult to use some perks, i had to touch several times a key to use turret perk
3. When i threw a minebomb and it turns red the server reconnected me :|
I realized that rounds lasted 180 minutes haha

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Thank you for the feedback!
    2. It was difficult to use some perks, i had to touch several times a key to use turret perk
    I couldn't reproduce it. Have you noticed that the perk has a cooldown and the quantity of available turrets increases over time? If you don't have a turret available, pressing buttons does nothing. After it recharges (20 seconds) the next pressing of a button will have an effect. So if you don't look at the cooldown and just press buttons until it works, it may seem as if the button doesn't always work.
    3. When i threw a minebomb and it turns red the server reconnected me :|
    it's a bug, will fix it.
    1. When i used a jet-pack to jump into a portal i thought that i was going to change room but when i did it i fell in a random place at the same room
    It's not a bug (although it's not obvious and needs an explanation). If you imagine a 1st person view when you are standing on the game field before the portal, you'd see the portal as a vertical "gate" 5 tiles wide. You can see the other room through it. The portal itself has no thickness and is located between two rows of tiles. When you are looking from above (as we do in the game), it would look like a thin line between the tiles, 5 tiles in length. If you are familiar with the "Portal" game, imagine a portal on the vertical wall and the camera looking down exactly from above the wall. Objects going through it would seemingly disappear and other will appear from it. The problem is that when players see the portals from above, they can't see the other room behind them.

To solve this problem, we show some tiles from the other side of the portal "projected" to our current room (currently, it's a rectangle 4x5 tiles). Because we see the tiles of another room, we can't see what's going on in our own room in these 4x5 tiles. If players could walk on them, it'd be confusing. So we place a block of 5x7 solid indestructible walls on that place. When you are jumping to the "portal" from the side, you are not going through the real portal; you are jumping on the top of this solid block that has a preview of the small patch from the other side of the room, and you can neither stay on the top of it, nor appear in the other room. This situation is resolved by teleporting a player to a random location of the same room. Indeed, it's not the best solution and we may replace a random teleport with some closer and more predictable jump in the future (although a teleport to a random location is also fun and might stay for this purpose).

The only way to go through the portal (which is really a thin line when viewed from above) is to cross it (i.e. move through what appears to be the open part of the U-shaped portal structure).
    Thanked by 1 MaximusDj
  • Since I've never used perks and never will I can't comment on using the turret issue however mistakingly picking it up after kicking a bomb I did notice it would be confusing to a normal person as the timer bar doesn't really give an indication that it needs to charge. Maybe gray the perk out while it is charging instead as that is a more recognized user UI interface change. Or create apop up for users when they first play after a new perk is added explaining features.
  • You're welcome, i just want to help. :)
    I know that the perk have a cooldown, i couldn't use it despite having available turrets to use (at least that's what screen showed), thanks for the explanation about the teleport. I forgot to tell you that bots or monsters could pass through portals and appear in another room, should that happen?
  • edited April 2017
    I also had a bug (or just my noobness), I tried to use the "atomic bomb" perk (or whatever it is called ^^), so waited for the cooldown and then I assume I just had to press the number equivalent to the slot where the perk was placed so in my case 4. But basically nothing happened I couldn't lay the perk bomb at all. Furthermore I couldn't lay any bombs anymore either, so when pressing space/k nothing was happening anymore.. I could just walk around and watch at the robots killing me :D
    Didn't try to reproduce it since, but if I have a bit of time I will ;)
  • edited April 2017
    Ok, I'll check the perks and bombs again.
    As for the bots and monsters - yep, they roam freely. We can limit them if players find that it's better.
    Now the test is officially open, it's time to switch to the new threads in the "Game" section.
    Thanked by 1 Gally